Saturday, December 6, 2014

Bang For Your Buck Series ~*Veggie Lentil Bean Soup*~

Bang For Your Buck Series!


Illness brought me to a financial hardship that I had never faced before.  Having no income at this time, I have learned so many things but will stick to how I've learned to cook to make food stretch as much and as long as I can.  I've been blessed with friends donating food to me, which is a total blessing and every other week, I go to Food Share, which entails standing in line for different food items.  Since this is a tough time for everyone, I thought this may help others also.

~*Veggie Lentil Bean Soup*~



You can make this stretch by freezing much of it and/or you can place the veggies/beans over rice.

Meal #1
  • 1  32 oz Beef Broth
  • 1  14 oz Can of Beef Broth
  • 4   Cans of Water
  • 1  Tsp Basil
  • 1  Tsp Oregano
  • 3 Cloves of Garlic
  • 3 Cups of Fresh Green Beans
  • Brussel Sprouts - I used about 6 - huge that I rec'd from Food Share
  • 3 Diced Plum Tomatoes
  • 1 Cup of Lentil Beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1 14 oz Can of Garbanzo Beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1 14 oz Can of  Red Kidney Beans, rinsed and drained
Place brussel sprouts in a pot and boil until tender.
In a large pot place all ingredients and bring to a boil, stir frequently then reduce heat to simmer.  After brussel sprouts are tender, place in the pot with the other ingredients, then bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer.  Simmer for 2 hours.


Meal #2

I didn't make it yet so no pics.  But thought that taking some veggies/beans and placing them over rice would make a tasty second meal!! I am going to try this!


Side Dishes

Take the extra Brussels Sprouts and refrigerate for another meal as a side dish ;)



I took the extra Green Beans and sauteed them in Olive Oil and Sliced Garlic.  I used for a snack and also adding to my Homemade Chinese Dinner which will be my next blog ;)

Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment