Saturday, September 4, 2010

~*I'm Proud Of My Mom*~

When my Mom became ill with cancer one of the most heart wrenching things that she had to give up was her service to her church. Besides me, Wilson Congregational Church was her "life line". It is a legacy of our family. My grandmother, godmother and aunt (who was like a 2nd grandmother to me) served the church in many ways their entire lives. My cousins and I were also a big part of the church throughout our childhood. With the closing of the church after 187 years of existence, leaves me with feelings of sadness and some resentment. My Mom served as Church Treasurer for 36 years and kept a tight reign on the finance because of decline in membership and lack of finances. A year after her death, it is closing?? This poses many questions that I won't get into on here but I personally feel this all came about after she gave up her position and that is the part that I am having trouble with. She had a fear this would happen but everyone demeaned her and said, "the church will go on without you." Hmmm....

When my Mom lived with us the minister presented her with a certificate of "Trustee Emerita" which is defined as such...
" In recognition and appreciation of the efforts of a member of an organization, the Board hereby establishes "Emeritus Status" for those who are deserving of a high distinction."
Last night at the Church's farewell dinner and program I was honored to receive this plaque in honor of the service of my Mom at the church that she loved.

Love you Mom xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment